Coconut Oil is being hailed as one of the true superfoods you need in your life.
With a long list of potential health benefits Coconut Oil is one of those good fats your body will thank you for.
Here’s some of the health benefits:
- Coconut oil can help fight infection, colds and flu due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties.
- Coconut oil’s antifungal properties have been shown to help reduce candida and yeast in the body and fight yeast and other infections.
- Coconut oil can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D, and other minerals.
- The high lauric acid content in Coconut Oil can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It doesn’t increase LDL and helps keep arteries flexible.
- Studies show that coconut oil may help increase thyroid health because of a unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion.
- Coconut oil can help boost your metabolism. Since it travels directly to the liver, it is used for energy and not stored as fat.
- Coconut oil can assist with weight loss by increasing natural energy expenditure by around 120 calories per day.
So not all calories are the same and not all fats are bad.
Different foods do affect our bodies and hormones in different ways. In this regard, a calorie is NOT a calorie.
The medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil can increase energy expenditure compared to the same amount of calories from longer chain fats.
One study found that 15-30 grams of MCTs per day increased 24 hour energy expenditure by 5% by removing stress on the pancreas which helps to burn more energy, totalling about 120 calories per day and potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
Combined with the many other health benefits – using Coconut on a daily basis makes sense, especially if you’re trying to lose weight or cut body fat.
Whether you use coconut oil as a cooking oil or add it to other foods on a daily basis, it helps to improve the digestive system and prevents various stomach and digestion-related problems – including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, and parasites that can cause indigestion. It’s also great for helping the absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
Coconut oil is often used by athletes, body builders and by those who are dieting. The reason behind this being that it contains less calories than other oils, its fat content is easily converted into energy, and it does not lead to accumulation of fat in the heart and arteries. Coconut oil helps boost energy and endurance, and generally enhances the performance of athletes.
How to get more Coconut Oil into you daily diet.
The obvious choice is to replace all other cooking oils with coconut oil – a little here and there will make a big difference over time.
- Use for frying (Healthy Sir-Fry)
- Baking (replace butter or other fats)
- Add to healthy snacks or homemade energy bars
- Stir a little into your Tea or Coffee (makes it extra creamy)
- Add to smoothies
There’s a ton other benefits too:
There’s still a lot of research to be done but early findings are saying that coconut oil has been shown to help the following:
- Stress relief: Coconut oil is very soothing and hence it aids in Stress Relief. Applying it to the head, followed by a gentle massage, helps to eliminate mental fatigue. According to research virgin coconut oil gives relief from stress and has antioxidant properties.
- Pancreatitis: Coconut oil is also believed to be useful in treating pancreatitis.
- Kidney: It helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It also helps to dissolve kidney stones.
- Liver: The presence of medium chain triglycerides and fatty acids helps in preventing liver diseases because those substances are easily converted into energy when they reach the liver, thus reducing the work load of the liver and also preventing accumulation of fat.
- Diabetes: Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also promotes the effective utilisation of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
- Dental care: Calcium is an important component of our teeth. Since coconut oil facilitates absorption of calcium by the body, it helps in developing strong teeth. It also stops tooth decay. Recent research suggests that coconut oil is beneficial in reducing plaque formation and plaque induced gingivitis.
- Bones: As mentioned earlier, coconut oil improves the ability of our body to absorb important minerals. These include calcium and magnesium, which are necessary for the development of bones.
- HIV and cancer: It is believed that coconut oil plays an instrumental role in reducing a person’s viral susceptibility for HIV and cancer patients. Preliminary research has shown an indication of this effect of coconut oil on reducing the viral load of HIV patients.
If you’ve never used Coconut Oil you might not know that it doesn’t really taste of Coconut. It’s the cold pressed oil from the coconut flesh, with a slightly creamy taste you’ll hardly even notice in most cooking. The benefits all stack up and your body will really thank you for making the change to your diet.